Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Version of Extreme Couponing!

Well, most of you that know me or follow me on Facebook know that I have completely lost my mind when it comes to getting obsessed with couponing!
I said it yesterday, "Oh my gosh... I am starting to eat, sleep, and dream of couponing! And it all started with .52 cent nail polish! - Alysha Mauriala-Smethurst and Extreme Couponing... you have created a monster!"

Yesterday I also stated on Facebook that I was  "Headed to Target after work and about to tackle my biggest coupon item to date! Goal: 6 boxes of Special K cereal for $5.75 total! That's .96 cents a box! I'll let you know if it turns out how I have planned!"

Well turns out all my couponing paid off!
My Target trip last night was a success!!!

Here is what I scored on...


*Special K cereal for .96 cents a box
*Goldfish crackers for .88 cents
*Nail polish remover for .44 cents
*Nail polish for .52 cents
*Pain reliever for FREE
*Caress body wash for .99 cents
*All laundry detergent for $2.50 a bottle
*Snuggle fabric softener for a $1.75 a bottle!

Everything that you see above cost me $27.83
(not pictured: a box of Snuggle Dryer Sheets, 1 Gallon of milk, and a tank top for myself!)

My total before sales and before coupons should have come to right around $65 dollars! That's a $37 dollar savings on things that I was mostly already buying! - Crazy!

Now I don't know a ton about couponing... actually I know very little!
But I think I have done enough research to say... I know the basics. 
And really the basics are all you need to get started. Once you start and get into it you will find more and more things and more and more ways to save.

Ok, so here is my quick tid bits on what I know about couponing...

1. First you have to get your coupons. Get them in the Sunday paper, online, through facebook, the manufactures site... wherever! - just get them and get as many as you can.

2. Once you have coupons you don't have to use them all right away. Sometimes if you sit on them and wait you will end up getting a better deal.

3. That brings me to this point... what I have learned to be the basic of good couponing is, listen to this... 
Pairing a STORE COUPON with a MANUFACTURERS COUPON!
When you pair the 2 together that is when you really start to see a savings.

4. Next point, Pairing a STORE COUPON with a MANUFACTURERS COUPON only gets better when the item you have those coupons for is ON SALE!!!
When you get that trifecta together you are bound to get a product for dirt cheap or better yet, FREE!

Now, I'll be honest. I have only done my major couponing at Target so far.
I have not gone to a grocery store and participated in things like "double daze" where they double your manufacturers coupons on certain days.
Like I said I am just getting started and testing the waters on what is out there, what kind of skills I have, and honestly, at what crazy level I want or can find time to take my couponing too!

But like I said, the above things are just the basics I have found from research and my own personal shopping trips.

Some sites I love and follow when it comes to this stuff is...

www.target.com - they have their coupon section listed right on their website in the top right corner.
www.totallytarget.com, www.dealseekingmom.com, www.pocketyourdollars.com and www.coupons.com

Couponing is actually really fun and a great way to save some extra money!
If you are crazy like me... join in!
Me, my coupon friends, and I am sure others would love to chat back and forth with you about what you guys are finding as well!

Hope this helped give you guys a basic start... that's really all I know.

Have a great day.

Chat later,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...