Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie


I don't know about you gals but I am loving the cooler weather and the changing of the season. I always feel like when fall hits I am able to bust out a whole slew of "cooler day recips." Chili, loaded baked potato soup, hotdishes, anything in a crockpot, apple pies, pumpkin bread, zuccini bread, and one of our family favorites... chicken pot pie!
Over the weekend I whipped one up and boy was it warm, delicious, and great for a cool fall day!
Since it's one of our favs I thought I'd pass along the recipe for you to try!
(I'm not one to measure or stick to a recipe so this is my version - feel free to add whatever or tweek it yourself as well!)

Ingredients:

3 - 4 Chicken Breast
6 T. Butter
6. T. Flour
1 C. Chicken Stock
1 C. Milk
1 t. Sage
1 t. Thyme
1 t. Garlic Powder
4 C. Cubed Potatoes (roughly 6 potatoes)
1/2 Bag of Frozen Mixed Veggies (peas, carrots, corn, gr. bns.) - Whatever you have works!
2 Pre-done Pie Crust

I prefer to make this recipe when I am home with the babes or on a weekend and you will see why.... well right now...

Directions:

*First I start off by taking my 3 -4 chicken breasts and putting them in a crockpot, fill it about half full of water, and turn on high.
(however, if you needed to, you could put the chicken in the crockpot and turn it on low - that way by the time you get home from work the chicken would be done and you could just throw everything together then, then put it in the oven to bake!)

I do this in the morning then by the time nap time roles around my chicken is cooked and ready to be shredded!

*So, when chicken is ready take it out of the crockpot and put it in a large bowl. Shred the chicken.
NOTE: Don't disguard the water the chicken was cooking in... this is your chicken stock, homemade none the less, go you! lol

*Next cut your potatoes into cubes and throw them into a boiling pot of water. If they are cubed small enough this should only take about 5 - 7 minutes.


*Once potatoes are done throw them in the same bowl with the shredded chicken.

*Then add your frozen veggies to that same bowl.

*Now, head over to the stove and melt your butter in a pan. Once butter is melted add your flour. Combine and cook this for about 30 seconds to cook out that "floury" taste.
Congrats ladies... you have just made a roux. The base to any thick creamy soup! From here you could conquer the soup world! Chicken Wild Rice, Broccoli Cheddar... think of the possibilities!!!

Ok, enough! I get excited about soup! - Back to the recipe....

*After your butter and flower have come together then whisk in your chicken stock and milk. Cook and whisk this until you have a thick, creamy, mixture. - Oh now is the time to add in your spices.

*Pour the creamy mixture into your bowl of chicken, potatoes, and veggies. Viola! You're pretty much done. The "guts" to your pot pie is done. Yum-O!



*Grab a pie plate, or large oval casserole dish. Spray the bottom and sides with cooking spray then lay one of your pie crusts in the bottom and mold to fit your dish.
Like I said, to make this recipe easier, I use predone pie crust. Cheap, easy, and taste just as good as the orginal.


*Once your crust is in place, pour your pot pie mixture in and add your second crust to the top! (Make sure to poke holes in the top)

* You're DONE!

*Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 - 50 minutes. You'll know when it's done... the house will smell of chicken pot pie and the top crust will be golden brown.
(If your crust is browing way faster than the pie is getting done, put some tin foil over it and that will keep it from browning anymore than you would like but still cooking the inside.)



Delicious!

This recipe is great for a cool day and really not that hard to make. - I might have just rambled making it feel that way. So even though there are a couple steps it really is quite easy and totally worth it.
Even the babes like it! Unreal!


Well, hopefully you will give this a try sometime! My family loves it and I hope yours does too.

Chat later,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...