Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chocolate Vanilla Strawberry Shortcake


In my last post, I mentioned that me and the babes had baked a cake!
It was my sister Justine's Birthday, and her, along with some other family was coming over to get together and have dessert to celebrate!

Since the get together was a little impromptu I scrounged through the pantry to see what I could throw together.
After taking an inventory of what I had I remembered seeing a similar idea on Pinterest... so I set out to come up with something that would work!

This cake is just like strawberry shortcake.
It's got the yummy white cake with whipped cream and strawberries but it's been kicked up a notch with the added bonus of moist chocolate cake and rich chocolate ganache!

Here's what we came up with....

First I didn't have 2 boxes of cake the same... so I took 2 different boxed cake mixes...
1 chocolate and 1 vanilla.
You can fancy them up a bit by adding stuff to the batter if you'd like!
ie: almond or vanilla extract, cinnamon & sugar, whatev.

After you've baked the cakes and let them cool, just slice them in half like so...

Once you have four "pieces" or layers of cake... you are just going to start layering them with the following ingredients...
Cake, Whipped Cream, Chocolate Ganache, then Diced Strawberries!
Simple!
Now just repeat and continue with each layer!



Once you are all done layering your cake (notice I only have 3 layers instead of 4... my son trashed the second chocolate layer!)
.... just finish off the top the same way you were layering it!


This cake was crazy easy to make!
The birthday girl loved it...


And after cutting into it.... so did everyone else!


So, next time your are stretched for time... give this cake a try!
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that you did!

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Chat later,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...